Honest talk: Are destination weddings rude?
Are destination weddings rude? This is a question that has been debated for years, with no clear answer. Some people believe that couples who opt for a destination wedding are placing too much emphasis on themselves, and are therefore being selfish.
But is this really the case? Are you having second thoughts or feeling guilty about your destination wedding plans? In this post, we’ll take a closer look at destination weddings and explore whether or not they’re really as rude as people say. So if you’re considering having a destination wedding yourself, read on!
What is a destination wedding?
A destination wedding is a celebration where guests travel to a specific location to commemorate the marriage. Typically the wedding couple chooses a place to go to get married that is special to them. This can be a location they really want to visit in another country or just in a different state.
Many people choose to have their destination wedding on the beach or in a tropical place for a nice change of scenery.
Destination Wedding Pros
When you think of a dream wedding, what comes to mind? For many people, the answer is a destination wedding. There are countless reasons to love destination weddings, but here are just a few of the biggest pros:
1. Beautiful Scenarios: You can choose from some of the most stunning locations in the world, like beach resorts with crystal-clear water and white-sand beaches, or lush tropical forests with rushing waterfalls. You name it!
2. All-Inclusive Services: Destination weddings often come with all-inclusive services, meaning everything from your ceremony and reception to your accommodations and meals is taken care of. This can be a huge stress reliever, especially if you’re planning a large wedding.
3. Tropical Weather: Who doesn’t love spending a few days off in gorgeous tropical weather? You and your guests can enjoy sunny skies, balmy temperatures, and refreshing beaches every day of your trip!
These are just a few of the MANY reasons you should consider a destination wedding, we explain a lot more in our blog you can read here.
Destination Wedding Cons
While destination weddings are incredibly popular and beloved by many, we can’t expect everyone to be a fan of them. Some people even may think they are selfish and rude, and there are a few reasons why.
1. Financial Adversities: Destination weddings can be expensive to the people attending, and not all guests will be able to afford airfare and accommodations. This largely depends on the type of resort and destination you select for your wedding. Here’s a short guide to help you choose the right resort for your destination wedding.
2. Nervous Outsiders: People who are not used to traveling could feel very overwhelmed. As a result, some guests may feel like they are being asked to choose between attending the wedding or seeing for own their responsibilities.
3. Coordination Issues: Destination weddings can be logistically difficult to plan and attend as some guests may not have a valid passport, have to miss work, or pull their children out of school in order to travel. Choosing an adults-only resort can put some extra pressure on families and friends with young children.
How to deal with family or friends who think destination weddings are rude?
If you are having a destination wedding and you have guests who are upset with you for choosing this option, try to understand their concerns. They may be feeling left out or like they are not relevant enough to warrant a trip to your wedding location.
Make sure they know how important they are to you and how much you would love them to be part of your special day but in the end, it is your wedding and you should have the final say on what happens.
Remember, it’s them being frustrated and pressured to attend when in reality it is out of their possibilities for many reasons. Try to be considerate and don’t hold a grudge! After all, who wouldn’t want to enjoy great food, bottomless drinks, and a great party in paradise?!
Here’s a great clip from an episode of The Real Girl Chat about this particular subject, so you hear other real and fresh perspectives on the matter!
How to decide if a destination wedding is right for you?
Destination weddings can be incredibly beautiful occasions. You get to celebrate your love in an exotic location with all of your friends and family in attendance. However, if not having your whole family will affect you, you may reconsider. Missing out on the support of your loved ones on your big day can be difficult.
But on the other hand, if you and your partner are up to the challenge and all the fun of selecting the perfect location, working on the guest list, envisioning the perfect wedding day, and putting you and your guests out for the adventure of a lifetime, then you are more than ready for a destination wedding!
So, are destination weddings rude?
Whether or not your guests believe destination weddings are rude is a personal opinion and it should be heard. Are destination weddings worth the hassle? In our experience, our wedding couples are totally satisfied and would definitely do it again!
For couples planning a destination wedding, it is important to consider the needs of their guests and try to make the event as accessible and affordable as possible. By ensuring everyone feels welcome and considered, you can ensure that your destination wedding is an enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
If you need any extra advice or wish to start that destination wedding planning of yours, we are here and ready to go! While it may be hard to fully please everyone, our team of professional and passionate wedding experts will help you find the best options for you and your group. Just click here!