There is a lot of talk about what will be the new normal after this unprecedented health crisis. How will it affect travel? How will it affect all-inclusive resorts post COVID-19? How will this affect destination weddings?
We have reached out to all the main resorts here in the Cancun area and the Riviera Maya to see what new procedures will be introduced and how it will change your experience.
The following is a summary of the main changes that will be established on-site for the majority of the all-inclusive resorts. However, please note that not all resorts will apply exactly the same changes.
We have put a list of links to individual hotel chains and resorts and their implementation. That way, if you want to check what changes will be made at a specific resort you can get it on that list.
Ok, let’s get started! Here are the changes you can expect from your arrival to your departure of an all-inclusive resort post-COVID-19.
- Arrival and Check-in/Check-out
- Public Areas
- Food and Beverages
- Pools and Beach
- Fitness Center
- Kids and Teens Clubs
- Certification and Sanitation standards
- Links to individual resort and hotel policies
Arrival and Check-in/Check-out
- A disinfectant mat will be placed at the entrance for guests to sanitize their shoes.
- Luggage will be disinfected on arrival.
- Guest temperature will be taken with a no-contact thermometer
- Online check-in through a phone app to limit contact when possible.
- Limited amount of people permitted in the elevator at the same time.
- Antibacterial gel dispensers throughout the resort
- Signs or floor markers to indicate the proper distance between guests/staff.
- Furniture separated further apart
- High-frequency areas and touchpoints (door handles, faucets, phones, railings, etc) will be cleaned and disinfected more frequently
- Deep cleaning and Electrostatic spray every day.
- Guests can choose a privacy option to ensure that employees will not enter the room during the stay and that all room services will be delivered to the door.
- Strict cleaning and disinfection of all rooms and touch points.
- Individually wrapped amenities.
- Anti-Covid amenity kits in the room including facemask, gloves and disinfecting spray. (Not mandatory to use)
Food and Beverages
- Maximum capacity at bars and restaurants will be reduced and tables are positioned further apart.
- Assisted service at the buffet with employees serving at the buffet counters.
- Social distancing protocol to control number of guests in restaurants, bars and waiting areas.
- Individual portions and wrapped products will be prioritized.
- Room service menu will be larger when available and can be left at the door or in a secret box upon request. Meals will be individually wrapped.
- Online reservations through app to limit contact
Pools and Beach
- Loungers and beds placed 5-6 feet apart in pairs.
- Swim-up bar seats are marked to ensure social distancing
- Full disinfection of all chairs and areas at the end of every day
- Machine and all equipment are cleaned and sanitized after each use.
- Wipes and hand gel available for guests use.
Kids Club and Teen’s Club
- Kid’s temperature taken at the beginning of each day.
- Spaces limited and available for reservation ahead of time.
- Social distancing applied by employees.
- Up to date Training on Sanitizing and Social Distancing procedures.
- Face mask and gloves will be required for employees in addition to social distancing
- Employee’s temperature to be taken at the beginning of every shift.
- Additional Medical employees on site.
Destination Weddings in All-inclusive Resorts post COVID-19
How will destination weddings be affected after COVID?
So how will all this affect destination weddings? After all, most are large gatherings in close quarters.
Well, the good news is that most destination weddings occur outdoors, where it is possible and easier to spread things out!
Here are 10 changes that will be affect destination weddings post COVID.
1 – Ceremony, Cocktail and Reception Layout
Chairs and tables will be spread further apart. Some hotels are seating 6 guests per table rather than the usual 8-10. Most resorts offer this option as optional, you can still choose the standard set up. Here are some sample set-ups.
2 – Event Locations Sanitized
All locations will be sanitized between events.
3- Service Staff Protocols
All service staff will have their health monitored, will wear masks, and will follow all hotel health and safety protocols.
4 – Food and Beverages
Buffets will be replaced with family-style options which will be served by the hotel staff, not self-service. Plated service will remain the same. Cutlery will be wrapped in napkins or plastic.
5 – Hand Sanitizer for guests
Hand sanitizing stations will be the norm and readily available for all guests.
6- DJ & Dancing
Distancing will be discouraged (NOT for bride and groom) but cannot be enforced.
7 – Printed Material is to be avoided
Printed menus, programs etc are to be avoided.
8 – Outside Vendors
Some hotels are considering eliminating outside vendors but this has not yet been determined. Outside vendors will have to have their temperature taken when accessing the hotel and wear a facemask, as well as following other safety protocols.
9 – DIY Decor
Some hotels are considering eliminating the option of bringing your own decor. This has not yet been confirmed. Please contact your wedding coordinator for more information and confirmation based on your wedding date and the individual hotel policies
10 – Corona
YES, you can still have Corona beer if the hotel has it available. Very sad that it is now a taboo word 😀
Certification and Sanitation Standards
In order to reassure future guests about the sanitation process and the measures taken, most of the resort chains are getting some kind of certification to prove the steps they are taking towards and getting audited by third party companies to see that they comply with the standards.
Two of the main ones are:
Resort Policy Links
Here are the main changes that will be implemented at the moment in the all-inclusive resorts and Cancun Airport. Of course, they are bound to be updated as time goes by and we will make sure to stay on top of it and amend this list when it does.
First of all, here are the sanitary protocols for Cancun Airport.
Please find below the list of all available resort’s official documentation or video presentation on Post COVID-19 procedures:
- AM Resorts (Breathless, Dreams, Now, Reflect, Secrets, Sunscape, & Zoetry)
- All Ritmo Cancun
- Atelier de Hotels
- Barcelo Hotel Group
- Blue Diamond Resorts (Royalton, Planet Hollywood, & Mystique)
- El Cid Resorts
- Excellence Resorts (Excellence, Finest, Beloved)
- Grand Palladium Hotel and Resorts (Palladium, TRS)
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya
- Hard Rock Hotels
- Iberostar Hotels and Resorts
- Karisma Hotels (Azul, El Dorado, Generations, Margaritaville & Nickelodeon)
- Majestic Resorts
- Oasis Hotels and Resorts
- Ocean By H10 Hotels
- Palace Resorts (Leblanc, Palace Resorts)
- Park Royal Hotels and Resorts
- Parnassus Group (Golden Parnassus, Kore Tulum)
- Princess Hotels and Resorts
- Reef Resorts
- Riu Hotels
- Sandos Hotels and Resorts
- Seadust Cancun Family Resort
- Solaris Hotels
- The Fives Hotels & Resorts
- Unico 20˚87˚
- Valentin Imperial Maya
We hope that this guide has helped you understand some of the changes that will affect your post COVID destination wedding or vacation.
Do you have questions or doubts? Please comment below or get in touch. Our team is here and happy to help.