Dreaming of the perfect private beach destination wedding location? Look no further than Akumal Bay Beach Weddings.
This beachside hotel offers a variety of stunning wedding venues including a secluded and private beach, as well as a Catholic wedding option.
Akumal Bay Resort is family-friendly, has under 400 rooms, and offers an intimate and homey vibe but with the comforts of a 4* service.
Here is what you will find in our Complete Guide to Akumal Bay Weddings:
- Map and area description
- Our experience with the Akumal Bay
- Resort Overview
- Pros and cons of the resort
- Rooms and Sections
- The Beach
- Food & Drink
- Activities, Sports and Kids Club
- What makes Akumal Bay different from other resorts
- Akumal Bay Wedding Packages
- Wedding Venues
Where is the Akumal Bay Beach Resort?
Akumal is a beachside town located about 1 hour and 20 minutes south of the Cancun airport, 25 minutes from Tulum, and 40 minutes from Playa del Carmen.
Surrounded by lush green jungle and bordered by turquoise Caribbean waters, therefore, you will find the best that nature has to offer in this area.
Akumal Bay is best known for its turtle sanctuary where sea turtles nest (yes, you can snorkel off the shore!).
Akumal Bay Beach Resort has fabulous weddings, but it also offers you and your guests a wellness-oriented property with yoga, meditation, and other wellness practices.
Our experience with Akumal Bay Beach Weddings
Well, first off, we LOVE this resort. It is quaint and charming and feels like home from the second you walk in. We have sold this resort as travel agents for years, always referring to it as a ‘hidden gem’.
We have planned several weddings here, and most couples have returned for anniversary trips, so that is a fantastic sign in our eyes!
We know and love the weddings team and really enjoy planning weddings at the Akumal Bay Beach Resort!
Akumal Bay Resort Overview
Rooms: 324 rooms on three floors.
Family Friendly: Yes, for kids 4-12
Room Service: Yes, available 24 hours.
Wi-Fi: Free Wi-Fi in the lobby area.
Restaurants: 6 restaurants.
Bars: 5 bars with international and national options.
Nightclub: Yes, open from 9:00 pm to 2:00 am
Beauty Salon: Yes.
Fitness Center: Yes. Wellness Center with activities and classes including Daily Yoga/Stand-Up Paddle Board Yoga, Spiritual Dance, Kundalini, Meditation, Pranayama, Vipassana and Core Energetics.
Pools: The resort features two freshwater swimming pools, an outdoor Jacuzzi and a pool for the kids. The resort’s entertainment staff also offers an aqua gym in the pool area.
Water Sports: Paddleboard yoga, world-class snorkeling, and diving on the famous Akumal coral reef as well as kayaking.
Pros of the Akumal Bay Resort
- Great value for the price
- They often have ‘kids for free’ promos
- Almost all rooms are ocean view
- Amazing snorkeling right offshore
- Affordable wedding packages
View this post on Instagram
Ven y akventurate con nosotros para avistar a las tortugas de caparazon verde. Conose sus habitos, sus temporadas de anidacion, desplazamiento y vida en general de estos hermosos reptiles…#Akventures #snorkelakumal #greenturtle #estatikinki #pastomarino #turtlesmexico #akumal #cancun2017 #tulum #reservadelcaribemexicano #conservacion #ecologistas #amigos #experiencia
Cons of the Akumal Bay Resort
- No ‘bells and whistles’ resort
- A la carte restaurants require reservations and availability is limited
- Rooms have an open bathroom area concept
- They don’t accept less than 4-night stays or over 25 rooms for groups
Rooms & Sections
The resort is split into 4 buildings, all with 3 floors. The ground floor is the garden view rooms, with a walkout terrace area. 2nd floor is the junior suites. 3rd floor is penthouse suites that have a private rooftop area.
You get what you book, no surprises. All rooms have been remodeled in the past couple of years.
Almost all rooms are ocean view (ground floor may have vegetation obstructing the view) and all include 24-hour room service.
The Beach at Akumal Bay
The beach on the right-hand side of the property is rocky and not really a beach. This is the area in front of buildings 3 and 4 and tends to be quieter.
The beach in the central area and to the left-hand side is long and white. The sand is soft, they have loungers and palapas for shade as well as the many palm trees that adorn the beach area
Snorkelling off the beach is easy to do and we highly recommend it.
Want to see the beach LIVE? Check out their webcam.
Food & Drink
For a small resort, the Akumal Bay Beach offers quite a few options for dining and drinks.
It has 6 restaurants total, including a main buffet, sushi bar, Brazilian, Mexican, Asian and Gourmet. In addition, there is a snack bar and room service.
The 5 bars serve both national and international brands. You won’t find top-shelf here, but they do have a variety of drinks and all are served with a smile.
Activities, Sports and Kids Club
Due to the location being on the protected Akumal Bay Reef and Turtle Sanctuary, there are no motorized water sports available in the area.
That said, the hotel does have a once-weekly snorkeling tour, SUP yoga, kayaks, tennis courts, and bicycles available.
If you love yoga, you will be thrilled with their selection of yoga and wellness classes: SUP yoga, spiritual dance, Kundalini, meditation, Pranayama or Vipassana, Core Energetics as well as daily yoga classes.
The kids club is available for little ones ages 4-12 and stays open every day.
What makes Akumal Bay Beach different from other resorts
Finding an all-inclusive resort with under 400 rooms is no longer the norm. In the age of mega-resorts with 1200+ rooms, this is a nice compact site where you will get to know the staff and feel at ‘home’
The amount of repeat guests is astounding.
We have said it before and we will say it again. SNORKELING OFF THE BEACH!
Akumal Bay Beach Wedding Packages
Akumal Bay Beach Weddings offers 5 wonderful wedding packages to choose from, so depending on your needs, likes, and budget, there is something for everyone.
Plus, they also have the option of Legal weddings AND Catholic Weddings. In addition, you can even opt to custom build your wedding.
Their weddings are overseen and coordinated by Beach Charmed Weddings. If dealing with a small family-owned business with personalized attention sounds like the service you want, then this resort may be the right one for you.
Whether you are planning a vow renewal (starting at $399) or prefer a Mayan Ceremony ($1100 for 30 guests), weddings at Akumal Bay Resort can help you execute the destination wedding of your dreams.
Legal Ceremonies are not included in any of the wedding packages, so this should be budgeted separately. There is a list of requirements you must ask for if you choose to go this route, but don’t worry, we can walk you through it.
Here is the breakdown of the most complete wedding package, the Caribbean Dream. If you want more information on the wedding packages and options, please just contact us.
AKUMAL BAY BEACH CARIBBEAN DREAM WEDDING PACKAGE
This luxurious package is for 20 guests including the happy wedding couple. Everything in it is made to wow and pamper you and your guests in the most magical and important day of your life as a couple.
Selling Price 2020/2021 : $4,499 USD (August, September, October $4100USD)
Extra guests: $95 per adult (age 12+), $48 per child 5-11 & $25 per child 1-4.
CARIBBEAN DREAM CEREMONY INCLUSIONS
• Non-denominational / Symbolic Ceremony • Minister (English / Spanish / French spoken) • Decorated Canopy/ Huppa with colored fabrics and two flower arrangements • Ceremony table to harmonize your décor • Burlap runner or wood aisle runner • Toscana or bamboo chairs or benches (white or brown) • Exclusive beach venue (Labná). • Rehearsal ceremony.
• Sound system for ceremony and cocktail (Microphone, Speaker & Technician) • Private cocktail after the ceremony with margaritas, mojitos or sparkling wine • Exclusive Lounge Setup for the Cocktail
CARIBBEAN DREAM FLOWER INCLUSIONS
• Bouquet and boutonniere for the wedding couple • 2 Bouquets for bridesmaids • 2 Boutonnieres for groomsmen • Flower decoration on newlyweds chairs • A centerpiece for newlyweds table & 2 additional centerpieces for the reception.
CARIBBEAN DREAM RECEPTION INCLUSIONS
• A private dinner reception and international open bar service for four hours at your chosen venue: Beachfront Wedding Salon, Sushi Bar or Pool Area, with a 4-course menu • Candles & Holders ( lanterns, candlestick, glass votive, etc.) • Charger plates • Wedding cake with options of a cake stand.
• Sweetheart table for the wedding couple • 2 round tables or 2 rectangular vintage tables with runner or tablecloth
CARIBBEAN DREAM OTHER INCLUSIONS
• Semiprivate Welcome dinner. (2 hrs.) • Private romantic dinner on the beach for the wedding couple only • Relaxation massage for the newlyweds (30 min) • Hairstyling & Makeup for one of the wedding couple • Special Turndown service on the wedding night with one bottle of sparkling wine
• 15% discount on the spa services for the wedding couple Not products. • Room upgrade to the Penthouse suite during the stay of the wedding couple subject to availability • Certified service of the wedding planner • Floral designers service • Personalized wedding decoration with all that is included
Extra Wedding Costs to consider
- Photography and Videography
- Dance floor
- Decor tweaks
- Floral Tweaks
- Outside Vendor Fees
- Wedding Favors
Akumal Bay Beach Wedding Venues
There are several wedding locations to choose from at the Akumal Bay Beach Resort.
Need to check wedding date or venue availability? Get in touch
Beachfront Wedding Salon
This option is a lovely enclosed space with refreshing air conditioning and large windows that give you a fantastic ocean view, a great way to feel like you’re on the beach but in control of the weather!
CAPACITY: 70 guests // AVAILABLE FOR: Cocktail Hour & Reception
This venue is included in the Caribbean Dream and Essence of Love packages.
Beachfront Wedding Salon Venue Tips:
- Curfew here is midnight.
- You can choose this venue with other packages and pay a supplement
- Minimum amount of guest for this venue is 20
Oceanview Catholic Chapel
One of the only ocean view Catholic chapels around and by far the one with the most breathtaking views. The Akumal Bay Beach offers The Virgen del Carmen Chapel as an open-air concept wedding venue.
It has a roof but no walls, right on the sandy beach. It is also used as a backup for other venues in case of rainy weather conditions (always a great option to have, especially in tropical locations).
CAPACITY: 120 guests // AVAILABLE FOR: Catholic Ceremonies
This venue is included in the Caribbean Dream packages.
Catholic Wedding Venue Tips:
- You have to have the prerequisites in order to have a Catholic ceremony here
- You can pay a rental fee to use the chapel if you choose a wedding package that does not include the venue
Private Beach Wedding Location – Labna Beach
This gorgeous venue is a jaw-dropper, a picture-perfect SUPER PRIVATE beach destination wedding location (yes, with capital letters).
You have an amazing view of the ocean, due to it being elevated, at the same time being a short walk away from the ocean at all times while being surrounded by Akumal’s jungle.
This venue is the largest wedding venue at the Akumal Bay.
CAPACITY: 140 guests // AVAILABLE FOR: Ceremony & Reception
This venue is included in the Caribbean Dream package.
Labna Beach Venue Tips:
- You can rent a hard surface aisle if you want to wear heels
- You can pay a venue upgrade or rental if you choose a package where it is not included.
Private Beach Wedding Location – Tropical Sea
A beyond amazing location, being one of the most (if not THE most) private beach destination venue in all of the Riviera Maya surrounded by a whole lot of lush jungle and natural beauty.
The views are truly right out of a tropical destination wedding fairytale and the result is breathtaking.
CAPACITY: 120 guests // AVAILABLE FOR: Ceremony & Cocktail
This venue is included in the Caribbean Dream package.
Labna Beach Venue Tips:
- This area is a 7 minute walk from the main hotel area, so keep in mind for elderly guests or guests with disabilities
- If you want to wear heels, you can rent an aisle
- If you choose the cocktail hour in this area, invest in string lights, it becomes magical!
This is a Reception venue upgrade and has the capacity for over 50 people, has an amazing beachfront balcony and has all of the tropical vibes and look while having a roofed venue.
The price of the upgrade depends on the package you start with, but you also have the option to only rent the venue.
CAPACITY: 90 guests // AVAILABLE FOR: Cocktail & Reception
Labna Palapa Venue Tips:
- Curfew is midnight
- You don’t need to invest in a lot of flowers here as the tropical feel is accomplished with the venue alone
- Hardwood floor is great for dancing, so save on the dancefloor
- Hardwood floor does have a few small cracks, so stilettos could get stuck, opt for heels or wedge heels
- Worth paying extra for a few string lights
Sushi Bar Venue
This reception venue is beachfront, like all others at the Akumal Bay Beach Resort, making it a delightful experience to have dinner at.
It is a very private location thanks to its entrances and the location of the bar.
CAPACITY: 30 guests // AVAILABLE FOR: Cocktail & Reception
Sushi Bar Venue Tips:
- 10 pm curfew
- Opt for heels or wedges as stilettos could get stuck in wood floor
- Due to beachfront, it may get windy, take into consideration for your hair/decor choices
Rodizio Brazilian Restaurant
This venue is used for the reception or the semi-private dinner included at the Love at Moonlight and Eternal Love package for up to 15 people; also used for the Welcome Dinner in the Caribbean Dream package for up to 25 people. It has an amazing view, vibe, and delicious food.
Sandy Beach Venue
This beautiful ceremony venue is right on the beach, it’s a smaller one included in the smaller packages, perfect for intimate weddings.
It is not as private as the other ones but it is incredibly pretty, right between the ocean and the palm trees and other beach greens that naturally decorate the place.
CAPACITY: 30 guests // AVAILABLE FOR: Ceremony
The Pool Area Venue
An outdoor venue used for receptions. If you prefer a hard surface for dancing or high heels, this is a great choice.
Located next to the main pool and facing that beautiful Akumal Caribbean sea so you still get the view, the breeze, and beauty.
CAPACITY: 120 guests // AVAILABLE FOR: Cocktail & Reception
Pool Terrace Venue Tips:
- Curfew is 10pm
- Available as of 50 guests
- If not included in your package, you can pay a venue upgrade
- Hard cement surface, so you can skip on the dancefloor to save
In conclusion, the hotel offers fantastic value for the price and often offers kids free promotions.
Akumal Bay Beach weddings offer some of the most private destination wedding beach options in the Riviera Maya, so if privacy is on your list for a venue, this ticks the box.
It is one of the only ocean view destination wedding chapels for Catholic ceremonies. There are a variety of wedding packages and options for many budgets and visions, so it can accommodate a variety of price points.
Need any help planning your beautiful Destination Wedding at Akumal Bay Beach Wellness Resort?
Want more information on the area or someone to help guide you through the process of choosing the right hotel for you?